Purpose of committee
The Review Sub-Committee is a sub-committee of the Standards Committee. Where the Assessment Sub-Committee has decided that no action should be taken in respect of an allegation about a Councillor’s behaviour, the complainant can ask for a review of that decision. The Review Sub-Committee considers the complaint and the decision made by the Assessment Sub-Committee, and then proposes one of the following courses of action:
· decide that no action should be taken in respect of the allegation
· refer the allegation to the Monitoring Officer of the Authority for investigation or other action
· in specific circumstances, refer the allegation to the Standards Board for England
The decision of the Review Sub-Committee is made using only:
· the information contained in the official complaint form as submitted by the complainant
· the decision notice published by the Assessment Sub-Committee
· information which is already available to the general public, for example information in the Members’ Register of Interests and the public minutes of Council meetings.
Where the Review Sub-Committee refers a complaint to the Council’s Monitoring Officer for investigation, the Monitoring Officer will, after the investigation has been completed, submit a report to the Sub-Committee which must then decide whether the complaint should proceed to a hearing.
For further information regarding the responsibilities and functions of the Standards Committee and its sub-committees, please see Article 9 (p85) and Part 3 of the Constitution.
Details on what to do if you believe a Councillor has breached the Code of Conduct can be found on the Council’s website by following this link.
- Councillor Bobbin
- Mr J Petherick (Independent Person)
Support officer: Julie Batt on 01268 294429, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Basildon Centre
St Martin's Square
Phone: 01268 294429
Fax: 01268 294599
Web site: http://www.basildon.gov.uk